The Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (“MOHRE”) has announced and issued the UAE’s eagerly awaited new Labour Law, Federal Decree, Law No. 33 of 2021 (the “New Labour Law”) which has taken effect from 2 February 2022. The New Labour Law will apply to all onshore and free zone entities (excluding the DIFC and ADGM). It will replace the current UAE Federal Law No. 8 of 1980 (“Current Labour Law”).
If you’re working in the UAE, you should be aware of the new employment laws and regulations relating to leaves.
DISCLAIMER: The information relayed below is based on the provisions of the Federal Decree-Law no. 33 of 2021. However, there might be certain subjects that still await further clarity on the law.
- The new law defines the leave to which the employee is entitled as bereavement leave for a period of (5) five days in the event of the death of the husband or wife
- (3) three days in the event of the death of the mother, father, one of the sons, brother, sister, grandchildren, grandfather, or grandmothers from the date of death,
- Up to 5 days of paternity leave to be taken intermittently or concurrently over a 6-month period after childbirth.
- Employees with more than two years’ service who are affiliated or regularly studying with an approved UAE educational institution are entitled to (10) ten working days of study leave per year. The new law is silent as to whether this must be paid or may be unpaid. It is expected that the forthcoming executive regulations will provide further detail on this point.
- 45-day fully paid maternity leave
- Extended 15-day half paid leave
- Additional 45-day unpaid leave allowed in case of illness (mother and/or child) – supporting documents are required.
- Mothers with babies born with disabilities can take a further 30-day leave, fully paid. This can be extended to 30 additional days without pay.
National Duty Leaves
- UAE nationals working for private companies are entitled to full-time leave for national service. Proof of service is required.
More details can be found on the official MOHRE website. https://www.mohre.gov.ae/en/media-centre/news/1/2/2022/the-new-labour-law-will-come-into-force-as-of-tomorrow.aspx
With HR Chronicle; The Leading Cloud based HR and Payroll Software; HR has the option to pre-define any leave types in the system and accordingly define the formula for the same. If you’re currently still using Manual Workbooks to manage your HR and Payroll Functions, then it’s time to automate the process by calling HR Chronicle. We help SMEs to automate the HR and Payroll Workflow and help them to focus on core business.
Need a hand to adapt to the new Labour Law, we at HR Chronicle can assist you to automate this change, at the click of a mouse, please contact us, or simply give us a call on +971 4 3383 775 or write an email at email@example.com.